shields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINTshields_multiple_PRINT

tagline

Campagnolo GFNY Championship NYC

MAY 21, 2017

GFNY: 100 miles / 161 km with 8500 ft / 2800 m of climbing
GFNY BEAR: 50 miles / 80 km with with 3000 ft / 900 m of climbing

Course_Guide_2016_final5_opt

GFNY_profile-sticker2016

REGISTRATION
Register now at gfny.com

TRAVEL
Please go to gfny.com/hotels

CONTACT
Don’t hesitate to contact GFNY at info@gfny.com.

MORE INFORMATION
gfny.com

2016


5,000 riders from 93 countries competed for the GFNY crown and to challenge themselves

2016 RESULTS
2016 GALLERY
2016 RACE PHOTOS

The sixth annual international Campagnolo GFNY Championship NYC was held Sunday, May 15, 2016. The world’s most international cycling event brought riders from 93 countries to the world’s capital. It was the culmination of GFNY World races around the globe, now held in Argentina, Colombia, Cozumel-Mexico, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico City and Uruguay. Further races will be added in 2017.

Cool temperatures made for good racing conditions despite the occasional wind gusts. 85% of the 5,000 riders tackled the difficult 100 mile course with 8,500 feet of climbing from NYC to Bear Mountain and back to Fort Lee, NJ. The remaining 15% opted for the 50 mile GFNY Bear from NYC to Bear Mountain.

Men’s Race

Local racer Gavi Epstein (Lupus Racing) attacked in the opening miles and established a lead of 3 minutes on a peloton that at times was as big as 150 riders. By the time the race hit Haverstraw at mile 30, Mike Margarite (NYC, Team Weather Channel) and Enrique Quinones from Colombia went on the pursuit. Margarite caught and dropped Epstein during the assault on Bear Mountain while Quinones fell back.

Behind, the big group fell apart due to several attacks up Bear. A chase group formed, including Colombians Corredor, Montana, Trujillo, as well as Hamon (FRA), Pichetta (ITA) and Cruz (DOM). Trujillo did most of the work because the other Colombians thought they had a rider of their team – Quinones – up the road. As a result more riders caught up from behind and the group swelled to 13 by mile 70.

New Yorker Allan Rego (Lupus Racing) and Pichetta attacked but it was too late: Margarite had a lead of 6 minutes established and won the men’s race in 4:30:25. The chase group was left to battle for the remaining podium spots. Rego took second in 4:36:51, Cruz completed the full NYC podium sweep in 4:36:58, cracking a two-year Colombian dominance and keeping the crown in town for the first time ever. The defeated Colombians took it in stride and already look forward for a revenge in 2017.

Women’s Race

The story of the women’s race was one of the total domination of defending champion Camila Cortes from Bogota, Colombia. Despite fracturing her elbow three weeks ago in a crash caused by a motorbike during training, she took the lead from the gun and never looked back. Cortes finished in 4:51:21, beating second place Marcella Toldi from Brazil by over 20 minutes. Canadian Heather Low was third in 5:19:06.

Ensuring a fair competition

GFNY hired the United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA) to administer in- and out of competition doping controls to ensure a fair competition. In 2012, GFNY was the first amateur event to hold out of competition controls (=not on race day). These controls are critical to serve the surprise element.

For the second year, GFNY also controlled bikes for motors at the start and finish. No motors were found.

COURSE

courseITA

Find out

italian_granfondo

DON’T MISS THE NEWS

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Listen to the GFNY Cast

podcast_tab